Today I needed to use MD5 in a C program on my BBB (running Angstrom) therefore I looked into openssl.
All seemed straight forward until I realised that my cross compiler tool chain did not include an arm version of the libssl library.
I’ve recently bought a Beaglebone Black (BBB) and an RS232 cape (BB-BONE-SERL-03). Mine is revision A1 (important to know which, see later).
At the time of writing this and at the time I bought it, I did not realise that the cape was not yet supported in the Angstrom release. Because of the move to kernel 3.8, the majority of capes available need some software modifications to get them working. A list of compatible capes can be found here.
What follows is a summary of how I got the RS232 cape working